Tuesday, April 16, 2013

You are more beautiful than you think Day 36

This video was going around Facebook today and it really touched me. Its something that I struggle with on a very regular basis. One of the reasons for doing this project is I want to learn to see myself as everyone else sees me. I want to see myself as beautiful and not constantly see all of my flaws.

You may notice that I accidentally skipped yesterday. I am trying not to skip days. To make up for skipping a day, I'm posting two pictures today.

This is how I tend to see myself.
 
Maybe not exactly like this. But I see myself distorted. I see my big forehead, my scars, my acne, the bags under my eyes, my weight, my frizzy hair, my double chin, every single flaw I have - real or imagined. 

This is how I want to see me
I want to see my amazing green eyes, my cute freckles, my Marilyn Monroe beauty mark mole on my cheek,  my experience, my worth, my knowledge, my compassion, my strengths, my talents.

I am more beautiful than I think and I am working on realizing that. 
I think this is a goal we should all have. We all need to look at ourselves through someone else's eyes. Find someone you love and trust and ask them to describe you. Ask them to tell you how they see you and here's the key REALLY LISTEN TO THEM. Don't diminish what they say. Don't brush it off. 
The next time someone gives you a compliment say "thank you" and sincerely smile. It may be super hard at first. It may feel weird and uncomfortable the first few times you do but slowly you will start to believe it. Even if its just a small part of you. 
We are all more beautiful than we think. Even with all of our flaws. 
Our imperfections make us perfect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment